07 June 2007

End of Year Evaluation

Yesterday I received the end of the year evaluation for Inwe. I suppose we could call it a report card, but it isn't as grades aren't used. The teachers used their observations to answer the questions posed under each category (e.g. reading, math, writing, etc.). These observations are 1) Often, 2) Sometimes, 3) Continuing to work on. Also indicated was her reading level of 10 (first grade) based on the Developmental Reading Assessment tool.

Under her teacher (who is the paragon of Kindergarten teachers), Inwe received all "O" observations with one exception. Inwe sometimes monitors her own reading and self corrects. Her marks for physical education were nearly all at the highest level. Inwe is continuing to work on catching, throwing, and dribbling. At least she's getting game strategy.

Her art teacher adores her and her work. I know this from many conversations with the art teacher, who organized an art gallery of the students' work for the last day of school. The parents brought in breakfast foods so that there was an incentive for all the parents to attend. The atmosphere was just like a gallery opening with the students and parents chatting about the artwork over plates of food. Very nice. High marks all around.

Music . . . hmmm. Either the teacher is a hard ass (I suspect this is true) or Inwe just isn't that great in music class (probably also true). It's not like she got any continuing to work on observations. Inwe only sometimes does most of the objectives in music class. This teacher does have high standards as evident in the presentations that the children do during whole school circles. Apparently Inwe only observes classroom rules sometimes as well as being courteous and considerate. That doesn't sound like my kid. I feel the need to ask other parents about the marks received from the music teacher. One bright spot--Inwe uses materials responsibly.

No comments: