09 June 2007

Class Pet

In Inwe's classroom was an assortment of creatures that were called class pets: Night crawler earthworms, guppies, snails, mudpuppies (immature salamanders), and tadpoles.

Two weeks ago, Inwe made the request of bringing home the tadpoles that hadn't gone through metamorphosis. I agreed. We do have a fish pond where we could release the frogs (or toads if that what they are).

She brought them home in a jar. We bought a Backyard Habitat for frogs and bugs from Target and set up the water. Inwe added three small snails from her aquarium, one of which you can see in the first picture. We feed them a fish flake or two about every other day. I, at least, enjoy watching them eat.

The tadpoles have begun to sprout legs. Three of the four have rear legs, and their bodies are widening. We are taking pictures for Inwe's summer journal, making it easy to share the progress of the development with her classmates in first grade.

I've included an extreme close up of the first picture.

No comments: