That is what you should call me as it is the consistency of my resolve when it comes to Finwe's preferences.
He no longer wants to sit in a chair, with or without a booster, or a high chair when he eats. He wants to eat on the run while I drive the girls to school or as he walks around the downstairs as we pack the girls' lunches. His other favorite spot to eat is in the middle of the kitchen bar with his food in between his legs.
This is where he ate dinner this evening. Amazingly, we were all eating the same food--vegetable lo mein. (Mark the date. It does not happen often unless it is pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches.) Lo mein was everywhere, but he wasn't clawing at my lap or whining while on my lap. I call it a victory, but as I began the bedtime ritual, I realized that the third kid has pounded me to mush.
For nap, Finwe falls asleep on his own very nicely. Around 11:30am or noon-ish, I sing the nap song to him and place him in the crib. He snuggles with his blankets, maybe makes a moan or two, and eventually falls asleep for a two hour nap.
Then, there is the evening. We read books. His nighttime books are different than the daytime books. There are no dinosaurs roaring at night, thankfully. He does a lovely roar. At night, we snuggle on my bed with a sippy cup of milk and four books: It's Potty Time (don't ask), One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (abridged), I Love You As Much, and Goodnight Moon. He chooses the book he wants read, and I read it as many times as he picks it up. He used to throw the books across the bed when he was through with this portion of the ritual, but he has learned that he need only shake his head and push the books to the side.
A normal, non-mushy mother with more sense would give him a kiss and set him in his crib. That is not me. I am lucky in that I have two well-behaved older children who delight in watching television or a movie as I get Finwe to sleep. Many nights Phill is with them getting teeth brushed or just lounging. So while the girls are being entertained, I am holding Finwe in my arms watching HGTV's Designed to Sell as he falls asleep.
He does not kvetch. He doesn't wiggle. He grabs either the blue or the green blanket, closes his eyes, and sleeps. It's easy. He transfers well, and lately he has been sleeping through the night. I credit his non-infected ears with this feat. We certainly did nothing.
This is why I am mush.
No comments:
Post a Comment