22 December 2006

Sun and the Moon

Tonight I was taking some "me" time as Phill took care of the children. For about 20 of the 30 minutes all seemed well.

The last ten minutes proceeded like this:

I heard some small protests from Finwe. There were a few protests from Inwe and Larien as well. The sounds of annoyance grew more frequent. Then the volume of Finwe's protests got louder. Not much longer after the volume ramped up the cry became insistent. I know that cry---it is the call for Mommy.

As I peeked down the staircase, I saw Phill holding a sobbing Finwe. Tears streaked his cheeks. His breaths were ragged. His eyes told the story of his frantic search for me.

When Finwe saw me, the tears stopped. He leaned away from Phill reaching for me with both arms outstretched. As soon as I held Finwe, the crying ceased. With his head nestled against my shoulder, he sighed and held out a hand towards Phill as if to say Stay away from my mommy and me.

I am still his sun and his moon. No one else will do at bedtime. Tonight he even attempted to put on his own sleeper.

It is maddening at times, but I sill love being his only one.

No comments: