02 November 2006

Blinded me with Science

Today the girls asked to repeat the "chilly hand" experiment from Halloween. I don't keep latex gloves around the house, but I told them that we could do the chemical reaction with a soda bottle and a balloon.

The vinegar goes in the bottle. The baking soda goes into the balloon. Attach the balloon to the bottle with the balloon flopped to the side so that the baking soda stays in the top of the balloon. When you are ready to mix hold the balloon up to start the reaction.

The first time we did it with the normal proportions. I then had Inwe predict what would happen with twice as much. Larien tried, but she didn't quite get the prediction part. We then tripled our proportions. That's the picture that's above. Tomorrow we'll probably quadruple it.

I love teaching my girls science. You get vocabulary (liquid, aqueous, solid, gas, reagent, reaction, expand), math, prediction based on observation. So much good stuff. Love it!

3 comments:

Trixie said...

What a great baby shower gift! Send me a book on science experiments with your children! What a wonderful thing to do with your kids - we didn't do this with our parents but I think it's time to change that ...

Trixie said...

If you have book recommendations, I will register for them! I didn't mean that YOU had to send me the books! What I meant was that it was such a great idea and that I would love to add this to my registry. Thanks :)

Sarabeth said...

Since Inwe's school will be asking me to do more I will probably put together my own book. I'll send you a copy if/when I get it done.

I don't have any rec's as of now, but I'll look into it.