08 August 2006

Shaggy: Day Two

This morning it was also 82°F. However, the humidity was high and the girls were hot just walking to the pool from the car. As we waited for the instructors and students to gather, we all got a bit warmer.

Inwe and Larien talked to a set of sisters and compared Fairytopia and Mermaidia Barbie Doll stashes. One of the sisters is in Inwe's group. When Tizzy called them, Inwe and Rosie (I'm borrowing a nickname from Turtletoes here) walked briskly and immediately jumped into the pool. Their swim lesson was off. Inwe has a wicked good freestyle developing. I'm so impressed. She has a powerful kick as well. I'm so proud. She and Rosie are nearly at the same level. I could see the two comparing diving skills as Tizzy worked with the other girl in the class.

Shaggy called his class together, and Larien wanted nothing to do with him again. I firmly told her, "Sit here at the side of the pool and watch. I have to get Finwe or he's going to fall in the pool." Larien sucked in her breath at the thought of Finwe falling into the pool but kept pouting. However, as soon as I had rescued Finwe from a certain plunge into a foot of water (well, the other moms were watching him; he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the water, really. Seriously. I was using a ploy!).

Oh, carp! Where was I? Ah, yes.

However, as soon as I had rescued Finwe from a certain plunge into a foot of water, I saw Larien jumping up and down in the pool as Shaggy had ordered. When he asked for a volunteer to be first, her hand shot up and reached out to him. She got to go first practicing her kick and streamline. Larien is in a class of three with two boys. She could care less. If it were Inwe, she would stay far away from the boys unless she had met them before. These two are so different.

At the end of the classes, the kids get to jump in the water. Larien is the only one in her group that doesn't need catching. I made sure Shaggy knew that she could do it all on her own. She jumps in and does her best to swim to the steps. He has to help her to the steps, but she's trying. And, she's not even three yet. But soon!

Tizzy started to catch Inwe as well when she jumped in. I made sure Tizzy knew that Inwe didn't need help either. Inwe jumps in and does a great freestyle to the steps.

The girls were still cold at the end, but neither of them complained loudly. They just grabbed their towels and sat down on the groundcloth drinking juice and eating snack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just so amazing! They are little fishes.