16 August 2006

Achievement Ribbons

Today was the last session of summer gymnastics. The girls each got a ribbon of achievement. They chose the yellow ones. Larien instantly said, "I want to hang this in my room! I do!" Inwe appeared to be less excited than Larien, but she was happy to get a bauble.

Larien's ribbon is hanging on the corkboard in her room. Inwe's is hung on her mirror. I hope this is the first of many ribbons (and for the love of pete, please don't make it endless trophies for just participating in some sport. egads! talk about celebrating mediocrity!) for the children.

I like ribbons. I had a passel of them that decorated my room as a girl. Many of mine were honor roll ribbons from elementary school, but I also had ribbons from field day. Ah, field day. The day that I could show all the boys that I was so much more than the brainy girl who went to the next grade level for reading and English lessons. See, I kicked some serious boy hiney (my girls would be quite upset if I used the word with the proper alliteration) at field day. I rarely got second.

Ah, elementary school. It was so elementary and so very much fun. Life will never be that simple again.

No comments: