27 September 2006

Just call him Snaggle Tooth

Last night Finwe chipped one of his new front teeth. It was his right upper incisor. He's okay. I'm still shaken.

All three kids were in the bath. Larien was the first to get out as she was completely exhausted from her day. Phill was helping her brush her teeth and I was preparing to get Finwe and Inwe out of the tub. I had already sat Finwe down after he stood up at the edge of the tub. He was beginning to stand up again when he slipped.

I heard the crack as his chin and mouth hit the back corner of the tub. I screamed something resembling, "Oh, good lord! Crap!", as I reached to rescue him. He was wailing as I wrapped him in a towel and rocked him. Phill was by my side instantly looking at him.

"Phill," I cried, "he's chipped his tooth." Looking at the chip was easy as his mouth was open in a constant cry. "It's still in his mouth!" I used my finger to swipe the chip off his tongue. There was no blood, and Finwe quieted in less than two minutes. A minute later as we tried to look closer at his tooth he was chewing on a hard plastic toy. He was no longer fazed by the accident.

I wish I could say the same about me. Although Phill is a pediatrician, I asked him to call the pediatrician that takes care of the kids. In fact, I needed to hear someone else tell me that Finwe was going to be okay and just needed to see a dentist in the next couple of days to file off any sharp edges. That's what our pediatrician said. I'm taking Finwe to the dentist tomorrow.

Phill seriously considered giving me a sedative last night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my! That stopped my laughing. How frightening! I worry that Isabelle will fall. She's very mobile in the bath. I take the bath with her but I still worry.